Understanding the need for medical services, four Franciscan Missionaries of Mary (FMM) nuns started a small clinic called Ave Maria at Section 1 to serve the healthcare needs of the underprivileged in 1954. Through public donations, the little clinic was soon expanded to include a maternity home and convent.
By 1957, the population of Petaling Jaya had grown so rapidly that the clinic cum-maternity home could no longer meet the needs of the people. Led by philanthropist, the late Tun Leong Yew Koh, a large-scale fundraising event was organised, which successfully raised enough funds to build the hospital on its current location in 1959.
More firsts were in store, with the Kidney Unit established in 1967 and the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in 1971. Limited resources in terms of workforce and facilities were no match for the sheer dedication and deep compassion of the FMM sisters and the hospital.
In 1974, the Assunta Foundation was formed and the management of the now full-fledged hospital was handed over to a Board of Directors by the FMM sisters. The main function of the Board is to assist the hospital maintain a balance between providing affordable healthcare and sustaining the hospital’s operations amidst rising costs.
Unlike normal business models where shareholders get to enjoy a share of the company’ profits, the honorary members of the board, consisting of FMM sisters and prominent figures in society, contribute their time and effort on a voluntary basis to regulate the hospital operations.
We aim to serve the community better. We have provided healthcare service to quite a number of patients over the years and of course, we aim to be the hospital of choice by offering a wide range of services from: 24-hour, seven-day a week Accident & Emergency Services, Cardiology, Dermatology, Ear Nose & Throat, General Surgery, General Paediatrics, Internal Medicine, Laparoscopic Surgery, Obstetrician & Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery, Radiology, Sports Injury and Sports Medicine and Urology.
Our pledge is to serve the community and this means that we are continually training our staff, upgrading our equipment and facilities, and making the hospital premises as conducive as possible for our patients and visitors.